Sunday, August 24, 2008

Naughty and perverted in local universities

Well, it has been common knowledge that orientation activities at universities are naughty. But frankly, I am surprised it has been reduced to such humiliating stage, bordering even on the sexual.

Who are those sick, horny and perverted bastards who thought of all these sexual filled activities? Are there no other simple activities to bond?

I did not attend the local university, so I did not know much about the orientation there. The university I attended had no orientation, so I considered myself lucky.

When I was in junior college, I did not attend the 1st two weeks of orientation, cos on the first day of orientation, I saw the type of "sick" games they made us play to break the ice. And I just skipped all the 2 weeks of orientation after that. I was not interested and I also did not care. I was in depression at that time also and I find such cheerful activities nauseating. I did not find that I missed any thing much any way.

Teens can be such impressionable, weak minded creatures. Influenced by peer pressure, sometimes, one has no choice but to follow the crowd.

Passing sweets with the mouth, mimicking copulation...frankly, I would have just walked out. Who cares if I am labelled a spoilt sport, a wet blanket, not sociable or not sporty. I just dun do things I dun like. Since then. Even now.

Some of my friends and ex colleague knew I am like that. They called it "Attitude" mockingly.

I have been known to walk out of meetings, lunches, dinners etc, if I find that I dun like the company or the activities.

And dun bother to try to match make me with a blind date. I have been known to viciously tear down people who even dared to do it. And I have walked out of several lunches and dinners when I find another stranger who is a single in status at the table. No question asked.

When I arranged lunches or dinners with friends, I always specified to those attending, no strangers allowed.

Yeah....I am bad.

-----------------------

The Straits Times
Forum
23 Aug 2008

Making friends or making out?

I UNDERSTAND the Government worries about the reluctance among the young to marry and have children. But, certain organisations are taking the message too far.

Several of my nephews and nieces in their first year at two of our local universities told me that their orientation camp organised lewd and improper activities. These games, I was told, were backed by the Social Development Unit (SDU).

In one game, female students were made to exchange sweets with male students using their mouths as they sat in a circle.

Another required a female student to lie on the floor as a male student did push-ups on top of her, obviously mimicking copulation.

There were also games where girls were asked to pick boys they wished to pair up with for a segment of the camp. Less 'attractive looking girls' were subjected to the taunts of boys who groaned and lamented to their friends when they were picked by these 'ugly girls'.

Such activities concern me. Are our youth being taught that physical attraction and touching are more important than appreciating another person's character?

Yes, physical attraction has some importance in forging relationships. But it should not be overtly emphasised. Moreover, if youth are taught to focus on the heat and sexual attraction of young love, their relationships will never be healthy, wholesome and enriching.

Do our universities and the SDU want our youth to end up sleeping together and waking up the next day only to discover that they cannot stand the character of the person whom they have just spent the night with, but still having had the best time in bed anyway?

I question the rationale in allowing such games. Without proper guidance, orientation organisers, who are inexperienced and hormone-charged youth, will lead their younger fellow students astray.

We want more of our youth to get married, but such activities demean both sexes and the idea of marriage.

If I'm not wrong, most undergraduates attend the orientation camp to make friends with people they will be studying with. My nieces and nephews say that they've made very few friends.

If they feel uncomfortable participating in such games, they are labelled 'square' and lacking in sportsmanship.

Such camps are teaching our youth to drop their moral values and religious beliefs for sexual gratification.

I don't think we want a nation of youth engaged in relationships that are lacking in moral values and religious beliefs just to halt the falling birthrate.

I urge the authorities to regulate such programmes. I wouldn't want my child dating a schoolmate who did push-ups on top of her.

Soh Eng Phang (Ms)

No comments: